Thursday, January 8, 2009

Goodbye Naga

December 29, 2008: (Naga, PI) Okay, it's really January 8th. Today was the first time since Terri and I got home that we've been able to get together and finish our blog. We have a few more blog postings to finish out the last day or so of our trip. Aren't you glad you checked back?

Before I get to the part of leaving Naga, let me share one of the Smith family Christmas traditions. We always set out a puzzle and work on it through the holidays. My mom made sure we kept up the tradition, even half way around the world in the Philippines. I'm amazed she had the forethought to ship over (last June) a puzzle I'd given her a while ago...1,000 pieces of Van Gogh's Cafe Terrace at Night painting. Let me tell you, it was NOT any easy puzzle. And we couldn't leave the Philippines until the puzzle was done! Hmmm...I'm suprised my mom didn't hide a few pieces. Anyway, between Terri, my mom, and I, we finished up the puzzle on Sunday night.

Sssshhh! Don't tell my mom, but I'm going to have this picture of sea shells we gathered at the beach made into a 1,000 piece puzzle for Christmas next year!
So, we left Naga early Monday morning. For the last time I closed and locked the gate at the mission home and had one last glimpse of the Christmas stars above the driveway. I have fond memories of being with my dad at the Naga Market when he bought these for my mom.

At the airport, we said our (tearful) goodbyes and took pictures like out-going missionaries--under the departure sign.



And then took one last picture of my parents from the window of the terminal. I get the feeling my folks have posed for this kind of photo many times--and will do it for 16 more transfers.

I know it's a blurry picture, but I loved the last blown kiss goodbye. Yes, I will admit, I cried! So, maybe this blurry picture is appropriate, because my vision was a bit like this through watery tears! After all, this kiss goodbye has to last me 18 more months!
And then we were on the tarmac and boarding our Cebu Pacific flight to Manila.


It was fun to see the airport employees wave goodbye.


And then we were up, up, up and away on our way home. Here's one final bird's eye view of the Naga area. See all the rice fields?

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Amy I loved this video. I like that you started from before you took off. I could feel the take off feeling and now I want to fly somewhere!

You're trip looks amazing. How wonderful to have a reason to go somewhere so different from home!